Written by: Stephanie Yeo
Edited by: Jocelyn
Here’s a riddle for you: What happens when hot meets cold?
Hint #1: It has nothing to do with the Second Law of Thermodynamics.
Hint #2: It becomes soft, runny, sweet and crispy all at once.
And the answer is…
BEANCURD AND FRIED DOUGH FRITTERS, more commonly known as 豆花 (dou hua) and 油条 (you tiao) in Chinese ,or tau huay and you char kwai in Hokkien.
It was through this supper that the writer made several observations about
- Eat tau huay sophisticatedly with the spoon provided, and then proceed to you tiao (or vice versa).
- Slurp up tao huay straight from the container with one hand and you tiao in the other.
- Dip you tiao into tao huay, like you would do with a biscuit and coffee or milo.
- “Drink” up tao huay using a bubble tea straw (I know this is weird, but I tried it anyway and it turned out to be really good – all in the name of experimenting.)
- I would call this last method The Fritter Slam (comparable to The Tim Tam Slam). It involves biting both ends of the dough fritter, such that it acts as a straw through which you “suck” up some of your tao huay against the laws of gravity. Once you get the hang of it, there’s no turning back! However, if you find yourself unsuccessful, there are always methods 1, 2 and/or 3 to fall back on.
By the time I had finished making these observations, the you tiao and tao huay were fast depleting. Who could resist the soft, silky-smooth texture of cold tao huay flowing down your throat, accompanied with the oily goodness and crispiness of the you tiao? A match made in food heaven indeed!
No E Block supper would be complete without a sing-a-long session, with several of our blockers bursting into song, along with Chun Keat on the acoustic guitar.
And then there’s the occasional fooling around, as the more mischievous blockers started pranking one another, which sent roars of laughter echoing through the E4 kitchenette (and perhaps beyond)!
That’s a typical E Block supper for you: Good food, great entertainment and even greater company.